Pages

If you like this blog, visit my cooking blog, Cooking Finland.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Painting of window with forest view


This is one of the most beautiful views in the world to me, Sirkka and Olavi's kitchen window.  Once upon a time, many years ago, I was an exchange student and stayed with two terrific families in Finland.  The second family I stayed with didn't really speak English, and was hesitant to take an exchange student.  We had so much fun, and have remained good friends today.  They have moved from the town where I stayed with them, but their new house has a beautiful view of the forest, and if you follow a trail to the left a couple hundred meters, there are ancient, prehistoric graves covered by lots of granite stones.  Like most places in Finland, the forest is full of berries in the summer, and ski trails in the winter.  It is a beautiful place out this window, I have sat here often with my morning coffee.  Now, this painting on stretched canvas hangs in my dining room, a great memory and constant reminder of my dear friends.  Some day I may give it to them, but maybe I will wait until they come to visit and fetch it...

No comments:

Post a Comment